Commuters in Spokane County have many options when it comes to leaving their cars at home. Why drive alone to work, when there are less expensive ways to get there? But don't just take our word for it. Check out the Commute Cost Calculator to determine what your commute actually costs and how much you could save by using one of seven other commute modes.
Walking to work is a great way to stay healthy and can save you money on commuting costs. If you live within a few miles of your employer, you can walk to work, save money and improve your health. Whether you walk to work once a week or every day, it's a relaxing, easy, and an inexpensive choice.
Over half of car trips in the United States are less than 1 mile, or roughly the distance covered in a brisk 20-minute walk. Walking provides flexibility and control over your schedule and walking daily is one of the best things you can do for your health!
Here are some other added benefits to walking to work:
- Improved physical fitness
- Improved mental well being
- Fewer health problems
- Lower stress levels
- More time to yourself
When you are out walking consider these safety tips:
- Look left, right, and then left again before crossing the street.
- Always look both ways before crossing and make sure motorists are going to stop for you.
- If you are in an area with no sidewalks, walk facing traffic so both you and the driver are more visible.
- Cross at an intersection or crosswalk.
- Wear light colors and/or reflective clothing to increase your chances of being seen by drivers, especially at night.
Walking can improve personal and environmental health, reduce traffic congestion, and enhance ones quality of life, among other things. Give walking to work a try!
STA Routes & Schedules - Riding the bus is easy and convenient. Find the route and schedule that works best for you.
STA Vanpool Info - Why put miles on your personal car, when you can put them on a STA owned van?
STA Park and Ride Lots - Don't live near a bus stop, go to the nearest park and ride and catch the bus.
Bike Map provided by Spokane Regional Transportation Council
CommuteFinderNW - find a carpool partner or join a vanpool
Telework - find out more and how to get a telework program started